Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

When I mentioned that I was going to be reading this book next I had a few people raving to me about how good this book is. At first I was skeptical, but after having finished this book in record time, my final thoughts are yes it is that good! This book had me hooked from beginning to end and has left me wanting more. I hear that One Foot in the Grave is even better. Oh my!

I was worried that this book had too much in common with the Anita Blake series. The storyline is loosely similar but that's where the similarities end. I don't think I can write a review that can do this book justice but here it goes!

Cat is the main character. She's a twenty two year old college student from a small town that's full of prejudices and of course, Cat has one huge difference: she's half vampire. I loved Cat as a main character. I read many Urban Fantasy books for their kick ass female lead and this book has one in spades. Cat's lineage is due to a misfortune that happened to her mother and as a result, her mother has a seething hatred for all vampires. She encourages Cat to use her enhanced abilities to hunt them down.

Cat's already achieved a pretty high kill count and has perfected a killing technique that works for her. That is until she meets Bones. Bones is an ancient vampire with an English accent (gotta love a man with an accent!) who's also a vampire bounty hunter. Until Cat met him, the vampire world had only one shade: black. Evil. Bones turns her whole world upside down.

You have to read this book if only just to make Bones' acquaintance. He's quite something! He takes Cat under his wing after she attempts to kill him and fails. He teaches her how to fight and how to become the perfect bait to attract her targets. He also immediately takes a liking to Cat and deeper feelings quickly ensue.

I really enjoyed how Frost developed the relationship between the two main characters. Rather than the typical boy meets girl and girl falls in love, their eventual romantic relationship took time. Bones had to woe her and convince her that not all vampires are evil. Cat had to overcome her beliefs that were instilled to her by her close-minded mother. It's a morbid love story, but one that I couldn't get enough of.

The fights in this book were amazing. Frost has such a way with words that I felt like I was there on the sidelines. I could see all of the flips, kicks and slashes in vivid detail. My imagination while reading books is pretty good but in this novel you don't even need it. The author does all of the work for you, all you have to do is read. I felt like I was watching a movie but better!

The ending of this book left me saying: "What? No! But..." So I headed over to Amazon to read the second book's summary to put my mind at ease. Crisis averted! Needless to say, I loved this book! Too bad I finished it so quickly and don't have the second book on hand. Otherwise, I would already reading One Foot in the Grave. The torture! No supernaturals in this book other than vampires but Bones more than makes up for that.

Comments

Popular Posts